Creator: Martin Cohan, Howard Leeds, Ben Starr
This sitcom is wholly terrible but I was so crazy in love with it when I was seven that I’m going to be kind to it. Ricky Schroeder moves in with the rich dad (he didn’t know he had) who has the heart of a child and the mansion of one as well, replete with arcade games and an enormous train set. How could a child of the 80’s not love that?
Anyway, Ricky is charming, but I can’t imagine I could stomach this now. It’s basically your typical recycled situational comedy plots with easy, lame jokes and the occasional special episode. I remember one where Alfonso Ribiero’s character turned out to have dyslexia. That wasn’t so funny.
4 thoughts on “78. Silver Spoons”
Alfonso Ribeiro was on this? Huh…I only ever knew him from that one other thing.
Of every show you’ve done, this is the one I probably remember the least. My cousins watched it, and I think I always planned on watching it, but I grew up watching Cheers with my parents and every time I tried, this kind of seemed too “kiddie” for me.
I was too young for Cheers when Silver Spoons started. I was the perfect age for this show.
A standard watch when mom and dad went out on a Friday night. We had a VCR tape with a number of episodes that we’d watch from beginning to end. I definitely remember several from this tape:
• “Scary” Halloween story episode with Alfonso and Freddie sleepover
• School beauty pageant (for charity?) with the girls the boys had crushes on, AKA the Corlis episode. [while presenting a contestant] “36-24-36. That’s her locker combination…”
•Quite possibly the first show to ever tackle internet dating. Ricky and “Lady Godiva” both worry about their upcoming blind date and we get 1/2 of the show dedicated to each of their daydreams about how it goes horribly wrong.
• A two part episode where everyone gets stranded (on an island?) after their personal plane crashes on route to their vacation together. Someone hurt pretty bad with a head wound?
Others that may or may not have been on the tape that I remember:
• Alfonso’s dislexyia (“Moby Dick saw a good book”)
• Ricky and his friend/enemy played by Jason Bateman
• Alfonso breakdancing
• Whitney Houston guest star episode where Alfonso’s uncle has a huge crush
• Alfonso’s uncle (or was it Ricky’s dad) getting stuck upside down on some sit-up contraption
• Ricky finding out a bully/friend? was being physically abused by his dad
Good memories. I’ll keep it that way by not watching this again.
Miss Fuller Freshman we love you!
Forgot about the island two parter. Oh, nostalgia.